Khajur Roll/ Khajur Barfi is a delight to everyone! It has all the ingredients which would make a healthy dessert – dates with iron, poppy seeds comprise a good amount of calcium, iron & zinc and assorted nuts have their own natural mineral deposits on your plate. We will learn to make the easy recipe of Khajur Rolls which you can serve it on special occasions as well.
- Dates – 400 grams (2 cup)
- Walnuts – 50 grams (½ cup)
- Cashews – 50 grams (½ cup)
- Almonds – 50 grams (½ cup)
- Dry coconut – 25 grams (½ cup) (grated)
- Pistachios – 20 grams (2 tbsp)
- Chironji – 20 grams (2 tbsp)
- Poppy seeds – 20 grams (2 tbsp)
- Nutmeg – 1
- Green cardamom – 6-7
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Cut each cashew into small chunks and likewise chop each almond, pistachios & walnuts placing everything in a bowl.
- Peel the green cardamom and crush its seeds along with nutmeg into fine powder using mortar pestle. Roughly chop the dates.
- Roast chopped nuts i.e. almonds, cashews & walnuts for 2-3 mins on medium flame.
- Place a pan on flame and add chopped cashews, almonds and walnuts into it.
- Transfer the fried nuts into a bowl and add ghee to the pan. When the ghee melts, add poppy seeds into it. Stir it continuously and roast it for 2 minutes on low flame.
- Once the poppy seeds turn fragrant, add nutmeg & green cardamom powder, chopped dates, roasted chopped dry fruits, grated coconut and chironji into it.
- Keep the flame on low and keeping mixing all the ingredients thoroughly every now and then.
- When everything is mixed well, turn off the flame and transfer the mixture on a plate.
- Roll it out into cylindrical shape by pressing it with both the hands. Coat the barfi with roasted poppy seeds.
- Wrap the Barfi with aluminium foil and refrigerate it for 2 hours. Allow the mixture to set.
- Unwrap the barfis and cut them into ½ cm thick Khajur Barfi.
Store them in air-tight containers for a longer shelf life. Dates generally stay fresh upto 3 weeks in room temperature.
For more such recipes click here.
Relish a pure vegetarian dining experience at one of the best Restaurants in Bangalore (#1 in TripAdvisor) for a pure vegetarian experience, Time Traveller Restaurant.